Wednesday, December 25, 2013

As the last A Christmas Story wraps up on TV and we can finally say it's over and done with, I'm taking the time to reflect on the year.

I got closer to people I wanted to and further from those I felt necessary...and I count that as a win.

Ian made great strides in language and engagement.  We still have a long way to go on this one, but progress is happening and it is amazing.  In recent weeks, he has begun again to sing a few songs some which you can not understand, but ABCs is really clear.  He also began to spontaneously call me Mama which is more than I thought I would ever hear from him.  He went from being terrified to go down stairs to getting in his own carseat and climbing anything he thinks is climbable (a source of many arguments).  In short, the season has ended with a bang.

I reconnected with some old friends whom I have actually never met in person, but whom I have known for about a decade now. We all used to post on a message board and recently found each other again on facebook.  It is comforting to have such a source of strength and wisdom without judgement (or at least much) and sharing of lives and friendship throughout all these years.  Even if we NEVER all meet, we will still remain support for one another for many years to come I am sure.  One, in fact, sent my son an iPad when his was stolen a few months ago.  How amazing and generous is that? They remain inspiring to me, not just because of the generosity to one another, but through all of the adversity and tragedy they have overcome.  You really couldn't ask for a more diverse group of women (and man or two) to help you through all that is bad and show you all that is good in the world.

The event of Christmas was tough on the little man this year.  He has gotten rigid in his routines and there were people he doesn't see very often at all and different things happening and he'd rather have cuddled up with his iPad in his PJs.  I felt for him (don't we all feel this way at times?) and will have to plan accordingly next year.  I had frustrations and sad moments myself.  It was probably my Grandmother's last Christmas (91 and in poor health) and she couldn't make it to the festivities and I felt like our visit was too short.  I hated leaving her in her chair watching TV with a plate of food in front of her, but Ian wasn't going to stay one minute longer.  There were missing spouses that were taboo subjects and sad people, frustrated people, and flat out angry people.  Unfortunately, not a lot of happy ones.  While a child like Ian may not appear to listen, he understands most words and certainly vibes and this added to his agitation.  However, gingerbread houses were somewhat done, decorating was somewhat done, and presents that were loved were given and received and there was joy to be had even if you had to dig a little for it.

Despite this year having so many ups and downs, losing a pet, having a terminally ill pet, house issues (including a water leak from the roof Christmas Eve along with a blown outlet), Ian finding his voice, almost potty training, feeling more comfortable in his own skin and in this world, and so much more, it has been a good year overall.  It's easy to focus on the bad and complain and do nothing to change y our situation.  It's a much braver (and healthier) thing to brush it off and move on as best you can.

I hope everyone can appreciate the amount they have grown over the past year and I wish for everyone to grab every opportunity in 2014 to be the person they want to become rather than worrying about everything that came before.

Merry Christmas everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment